Wednesday 25 March 2009

Uninstall != inv(install)

EeePC. Running Windows XP and need an easy solution for burning CDs. I have a USB DVD RAM drive so go to install CD Burner XP (which I have used happily many times before) and dicover that this oarticular piece of software relies on the Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.

No great problem - lets install that too.

It's as the install completes that the low disk warning pops up. Installing the .Net Framework takes a staggering 55oMB of disk space and on a 4GB partition, that's more-or-less unworkable.

So the plan is to uninstall it and try Deep Burner.

Uninstalling the .NET Framework only gives you back about 50MB of disk space. So where did the rest of it go? No idea. All I know is that 'uninstall' is not the inverse of 'install'.

Combing through the Windows folder has freed up another 100MB, but I'm now faced with a windows install operating with less than 250MB of free space in a 4GB partition.

I'm loathed to say it, but it may be time to rethink this whole MS Windows experience thing. To complete the trial I should investigate putting Windows Vista on here ... I wonder is that even possible?

By the way - Deep Burner installs just fine without needing the .Net framework.

1 comment:

Pale Heretic said...

On the strength of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?hl=en-GB&v=EXw7v1bxpSs&gl=GB

I'm gonna give it a go!