Sunday 1 March 2009

OpenSuse 11.1 on EeePC 900 - How-to and mini-review

Prompted by Mandriva nuking its wifi configuration,I decided it was time to try out the new OpenSuse and see how easy it was to install and configure on my Asus EeePC 900.

The install itself was very easy. Easier than with 10.3 or 11.0. The only remotely complexe part of it was setting up custom partitioning (I used the while of the 4GB SSD as one partition mounted at /, and mounted the whole 16GB SSD as /home, didn't create a swap partition and formatted them both as EXT2).

Running OpenSuSe 11.1 is very easy - everything just works. I'll post more about the tweaks that I make as I go. There's only one issue that I have at the moment and that is finding a working repository for Wine Doors (a utility to manage package installations for Wine, the MS Windows compatibility library for Linux) and for some reason ... I can't find one ....

1 comment:

Bryan said...

Pale Heretic,
I had just recently installed openSUSE 11.1 on my EeePC 900. Everything worked well (way better than XP or Vista, I think), but I am having problems with installing (or finding) the wireless LAN card. Do you have any suggestions on how to enable it, or install the drivers? I originally used the LiveCD to install, should I install from the DVD?