Thursday 25 September 2008

Nokia E71 Mini Review

It's taken me an age to choose a new mobile. It all comes down to what I want to use it for - as much as a computer as a phone - and I get stuck with the combinations of input options.

I didn't want a mobile with a standard keypad and predictive text - in my experience it makes a nightmare out of typing a URL or an email address. I also, for a variety of reasons have no interest in a Blackberry or anything by Apple (a company that I feel is as cynical about it's users as Google seems to be).

So I was happy to discover the Nokia E71. A phone with a decent 320x240 screen, a full (and usable) keyboard, mini SD card memory expansion (this one came with a 1GB card), WIFI and the usual camera options.

As a basic phone, the E71 does everything that you'd expect from a Nokia phone and does it with ease. The numeric element of the keypad would be a little tricky to dial a number whilst running for a train, but other than that, works fine (and I don't have small fingers).

It also manages all the additional software and connectivity that you'd expect and makes it easy to install additional application software - skype for example.

I have to say, one of the things that really makes this phone a pleasure to use (other than the keyboard) is the Nokia-ness of it. It works as easily and consistently as any Nokia phone and with the same reliability. There's no phone crashing and needing a hard reset here!

The E71 basically is the perfect internet ready 3G phone, for everyone who doesn't want blackberry or apple.

No comments: