Saturday 26 April 2008

Going Open Source - Part 3

I spoke too soon. I've found the first pot-hole on my road to open source nirvana.

Ubuntu release their linux distributions on a fairly regular basis. I was working with 7.10 'Gutsy Gibbon' and have just upgraded to 8.04 'Hardy Heron'.

I did this by hitting the friendly little button within the update manager that said something like 'there is a new version click here to upgrade'. How cool is that? Nice and easy, click, wait for the download, off we go.

Not.

Having got the files required for the upgrade downloaded, the updater failed to work. This was rapidly followed by it telling me I had something like 930 updates waiting to be installed. It also politely noted that there was something wrong, and so it wouldn't be able to install all the updates but I could do a partial update.

No.

Turns out the failed upgrade had left my laptop in a state where no updates could be installed. Some forum hunting later (on a handy Windows machine) and I discover that quite a few people have had this error in one form or another. By starting the update from the console I was able to understand that a circular dependency in the Audacity plugins libraries (one of the bits of audio editing software that comes included in Ubuntu Studio) was causing the updater to fail. OK. Un-install offending libraries at the command line and hey-presto the updater works perfectly. OK, so this isn't what I'm used to for what is the equivalent of installing what Microsoft Windows users know as 'service packs'.

Still, it's installed now right? Back to the happiness!

Nope.

It's installed all right, but that doesn't mean it's going to boot.

Boot into recovery mode, reset x-windows client. Laptop boots, moans that the login screen theme it was expecting to load is missing and thankfully shows me the login dialogue. Great. I'm in.

It turns out that the NVidia display drivers that are required to make reasonable use of the graphics hardware in my laptop don't work with 'Hardy Heron' despite working perfectly well.

The next step form here is fairly obvoius – download the updated version.

You guessed it, no.

Where did the wireless network go? I can see it in the network manager dialogue, I know the right values are in here so why isn't it working.... back to the forums and I find that there are a lot of posts about this. Apparently there is something up with the version of the hal (hardware abstraction layer) that means the network manager fails to work with a good range of common wireless cards.

Great.

Now please bear in mind that this is stuff that was working before the update. It also becomes apparent that this was a bug that had been picked up during the beta test stage. I also found that there is a work around. It basically involves winding the version of all the bits involved with with managing the wireless network and the HAL back to the versions from 'Gutsy Gibbon'. The process to to this I am piecing together from a number of forum posts and I'll let you know how it goes when I manage to get it to work. It's surprisingly hard to fix your network when it breaks, because the one thing that makes it really easy to fix the problem is having the network.

I guess, all in all I've spent about 3 hours so far to get from 'Ubuntu broke it' to potentially working, but it's going to have to wait until I can get to a cabled network line I can use to actually try this out (the download the files onto a USB memory stick version of the fix just didn't work).

I'm still trying to fix this. If anyone knows either how to make it work, or how / why this happened please post it here!

No comments: